Logo owned by Red Hat for OpenShift.
OpenShift is a cloud computing platform as a service from Red Hat for running applications in several platform like NodeJs, Java or PHP. Openshift is a one of the most common PaaS because has a competitive prices for computing with free and premium plans. The free plan is a good starting point for creating static blogs and web pages. Openshift is organized in Gears and inside of each Gears we have one or more cartridges. OpenShift has a few prepared carteridges for PHP, Java, MySQL and other applications. Today we are proudly to present a Cartridge for running a static site or blog using Spress.
How to create a static site on Openshift
To use this cartridge you need an account on Openshift.
- Go to Openshift and log-in or sign-on for new accounts.
- Create a new application.
- Choose a type application: go to "Code Anythig" and paste the URL of the manifest file:
- Set the application name and press "Create Application"
Using console tool
Another way to create an application based on this cartridge is using the console tool:
- Installing the OpenShift Client Tools (RHC).
- Create a new application on OpenShift using this command:
rhc app create spress http://spress.yosymfony.com/openshift-cartridge/manifest.yml
- Ready! you can access to your new site.
Modify your site
The last step of this process is to modify your new site:
- Clone the repository that is associated with your OpenShift gear to your local machine.
www/folder contains your Spress site.
- Make your changes and send a pull to repository. You do not need to upload your
_sitefolder that is created by running Spress locally.
- Your OpenShift gear will take care of building your site with your changes.
Note that each time you make a pull to repository, your site is builing with
Do not change the values for
port variables at